Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Googling We Will Go

So I get bored really quickly at work. It gets mind numbing just answering phones and making popcorn and smiling and using the intercom (actually the intercom is cool... I get to hear my voice really loud!). Dealing with angry people who don't get the star treatment they feel they deserve. The list goes on. The sad thing about that list is that not all of it happens in one day. Phone calls happen maybe every 5 to 15 minutes. I sometimes entertain myself with cleaning up messes or goofing around with the sales guys. You get the idea.... boring job.

So I like to Google people and see just how much I can find out about them online. No worries I'm not a creepy stalker and I'm not computer savvy enough to get important information. So I decided to Google my family. I can only find Wilson (some old high school track stats), Amber's blog (only after Googling her husbands brothers wife), and surprise of all surprises... I found a picture of my Mom! I thought that was really funny. I think she won a gas card from a local radio station a long time ago or something but still I found it really entertaining that there is a picture floating around the worldwide web of my mother dearest.

I got to looking at the picture and thinking about my Mom. Notice that her broach is color coordinated with her blouse. There is another thing... the word blouse. That is what my Mom calls nice shirts. She also loves broaches. If you are ever worried about what to get my Mom as a gift... broach. Of course it has to be tasteful and match some outfit of hers. Really I love my Mom and with fathers day just being this last Sunday I was thinking of how grateful I am for her and all she has done for me. A member of my bishopric on Sunday reminded us to call our fathers and for those of us from the nontraditional families, like him, to call and thank our Mothers. I tried to call my Mom but she didn't answer. I thought about sending her a card but I was to lazy to try and find a funny enough one to be worth sending. So instead I called the many wonderful male influences in my life.

I called my big brother Dave and left a message and then my brother-in-law Mark. They have both been a great source of wisdom and comfort. Every year before school including college years one of them gave me a blessing to start out the year. While I lived with Mark and Amber, Mark was always there when I needed him. Once when I was younger and stupid... I really liked this rebellious boy at church and I orchestrated a "date" with him. I don't even think I was old enough. Mark counseled me not to go through with it and that this boy was not a good influence. He told me to be careful of the image I portray to the guys I interacted with. I didn't have a dad there to give me all that council... be careful be smart and all that fatherly advice. Mark stepped in and saved me from a lot of trouble and heart ache. That boy turned out to be trouble... lots of trouble.

I remember reading a New Era article when I was younger about a girl who had a non supportive father and all of the wonderful priesthood holding influences she had in her life. I started to look for those rather than sulk about not having a great priesthood holding father of my own. I am truly grateful for those influences in my life... brothers, home teachers, my fiance, friends dads... and my Mom and her ability to play Mom and Dad. I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows me and knows my needs. He sent these people to my life to help and guide me. The tender mercies :) I have come to accept fathers day as a celebration of the people that I know and love who have helped me to grow in the right directions.

Amazing the thoughts that googling will provoke...

1 comment:

Phogles said...

wow, I didn't know you could strengthen your testimony through an internet search engine! Go figure. :D