Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wait And See

So today I asked serious questions of our Dr and got serious answers. Anne has these facial twitches which, although cute, concern me. Her eyes go twitchy and her mouth twitches into a smile. I've heard its normal to be twitchy but I wasn't sure if her version of twitchy was normal. I asked and explained and the Dr seemed concerned they might me seizures. So Anne is now hooked up to an EEG machine to track and see if what she is experiencing is indeed seizures or just normal premature behavior. Also her eating habits haven't improved. Normal babies learn to suck really well around 37 weeks gestation. Anne is due this coming Sunday so she should have at least better than only 2mL suck abilities. She should at minimum be able to do 20-30 mL on a bad feed. That is a good feed for her, a really good feed. So the Dr said by next week if she isn't improving we need to talk about maybe a more permanent solution that would allow her to come home. That solution would be something called a G tube. It would require surgery to put in a tube right on her belly going straight to her stomach. Then we could continue to work on learning to eat but still take her home. So if the EEG comes out bad and she doesn't improve in eating next week will be a rough week. Pray for us. Also, today is a better day than yesterday. Feel free to discontinue membership if yesterday was too depressing.

1 comment:

Phogles said...

if you feel the need to irritate those insensitive people around you, there are options:

1)endlessly hum the tune to "If I Only Had a Brain" from The Wizard of Oz

2)randomly bust out singing the chorus of "Tomorrow" from Annie

...there are more, I just know it. Give me some time...